A Scientific Publishing Center is to be established at King Abdulaziz University to undertake the publication of the intellectual and scientific output at the University level; and it belongs, administratively, to the Vice- President for Graduate Studies and Scientific Research, the chairman of the Scientific Council.
The Center is specialized in issuing the following information sources:
1. The book in its different types:
(a) Text (b) Scientific (c) Monograph (d) Enquiry (e) Reference (f) Dictionary (g) Atlas.
2. Scientific Journals issued by the University.
3. Indexes for journals Volumes (annual or collective).
4. Abstracts for Research Symposia held at the University.
5. Records of Symposia held at the University.
6. Theses ( Masters and Ph.D.).
7. Any other academic materials.
Article (3): ( Responsibilities and duties ):
It is for the Center to carry out the following responsibilities and duties:
A. General Responsibilities and Duties:
1. The Center should perform as an executive body for the Scientific Council in matters relating to publication and as a natural organ for issuing any intellectual output at the University level.
2. To set out short and long term plans for authorship and translation based on survey studies on the University Publications and to suggest subjects readings for authorship and translation:
a. To prepare "Authors' Guide" for all information media in all different branches of cognition starting from writing, publication, method of setting up the basics of publication and the publication system.
b. To work for having a distinct character for the University printed matter.
c. To work for unifying the translation of scientific terms at the level of the University.
d. To work for developing the University Journals so as to become specialized national journals like The Saudi Journal.
e. To enter the cultural field through authorship and translation according to a forethought program.
B. Responsibilities and Special Duties:
1. Investigating the originals.
2. Editing the originals and implementing the rules for writing and the international specifications for publication on it as follows:
- Abstracts - Terms - Scientific Names - Abbreviations - Units - Notes and Positioning of References in Text - References ordering and completeness of their constituents - Headings and Font Size in Text –Language Grammar - Phrasing and Rewriting. – Numeration – Spelling - Running Headings – Bibliographic Data
3. Preparing Covers and Preliminaries.
4. Fronting of originals for explanation.
5. Preparing page and book format ( Direction).
6. Specifying the tables and figures positions and sizes in originals.
7. Setting up the print specifications according to the nature of the material and the information medium (partitioning, collection, printing and binding ).
8. Printing of the University Intellectual Output.
9. Depositing the University Output in Specialized Information Banks.
10. Distributing the University Output as much as possible through the different distribution windows and different channels making use of the integral popularization and marketing policy (subscription, Cash Selling, Deposit Selling and Exchanges).
Article(4): ( The Center Duties):
The SPC Administration undertakes the following duties:
A. Publication Management:
1. Preparing" the Author's Guide" for all information media published by the University including the rules of writing that suit every branch of cognition approved by the Scientific Council for implementation careful on all materials.
2. Style editing via phrasing, grammar, numeration, categorization and unification.
3. Preparing Terms, Scientific Names, Font of Heading, Covers and Preliminaries according to Author's Guide.
4. Publication editing, fronting and arranging and finalizing all elements of information media.
5. Covers, Preliminaries, Supplements, Indexes, Running Headings.
6. Preparing the material format and designing of its cover (Direction).
7. Preparing the material and medium printing specifications.
8. (Partitioning), collection, printing, binding and making sure of being implemented in the printing rehearsal stage.
9. Reexamining the printing rehearsal after the author's review.
10. Preparing the university indexes and Journals Volumes annually soar to be ready for collection.
11. Preparing periodical (abstracts of the Journals of King Abdulaziz University), complete and classified together with its indexes.
12. Authentication of the University Intellectual Output through depositing in the Specialized Information Banks.
13. Preparing the " University Prints Guide" annually to include book titles and their bibliographic data, prices and summaries.
14. Cautioning about all that contradicts our Islamic Faith, Ethical Components and Political Entity and refraining from publishing it.
B. The Printing Management:
It undertakes the conversion of originals into a printed medium according to specifications set out by the Publication Management and submits the printed materials to the stores of the Distribution Management.
C. Marketing Management:
It undertakes the marketing of the University Intellectual Output and works to convey it to the benefiaries through the different distribution channels. It specializes in the following:
1.The marketing study that determines the number of copies; in collaboration with Publication Management.
2.Performing the required advertisement for popularizing this output.
3.Selling of output through different means: (Cash, Deposit, Subscription).
4.Organizing the Stores and registering the prints movement from and to the stores ( using the computer ).
5.Conveying the selling revenue to the Accounting Unit at the Financial and Administrative Affairs.
D. Financial and Administrative Management:
It undertakes all financial and administrative affairs according to the regulations applied in it.
It is implemented in case of book publication for all types ( Authorship, Verification, Theses) concerning (Publication and Translation Rules and Supporting of Authorship at King Abdulaziz University).
It is implemented in case of issuing of journals and scientific periodicals at the University ( Scientific Journals Publication Rules).
The Vice-President for Graduate Studies and Scientific Research, the Chairmen of Scientific Council, acquires the authority to execute and develop the Scientific Publishing center and to secure the human and technical capabilities and requirements and all that eases the Center's work and he ought to present an annual report to the University Scientific Council concerning the Center's achievements.